Wednesday, 7 May 2008

My Weekend Indulgence

I've had one of the most chillaxing weekends since I've started working. When I was a student, life was all about, "hmmm should I go for class today..maybe I'll just stay home and sleep". These days, weekends are a godsend (well with of the exception of those that I'm compelled to work).
But lately, weekends have just been helping out mum with chores and doing things
for friends or attending parties so that friend x doesn't go alone. I really needed a weekend just for ME. And I got it. Here's the list of things that made me smile :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. BEER WITH IT

I've never been a fan of beer, but I've realised when you have the right beer..nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats a pint of ice-cold beer on a hot, sweltering evening with your girlfriends. This quaint little pub tucked away behind Cha Cha Cha's at Holland Village served the most amazing raspberry beer. It was delish and quite light. To top it off it was pink!! I know, that did distract me just a wee bit being the gay pink lover I am.
G, Rosh and I made our way down on late Friday evening and plonked ourselves down in the al fresco area till about 12 midnight...just downing drinks, talking gibberish and catching up. Oh and did I mention how the waiters there probably think we are insane?? We gave most of the male waiters names...Firepants, Coinboy, Bobsybill. Let me explain the most amusing of the lot...Firepants got his name when G pointed out to him that there was smoke coming out of the dustbin next to the bill counter and with a dumbfounded look he kept looking down at his pants (because obviously, if a pretty girl points in the direction of your crotch, where else do you look when you are told something is on fire, right?).Ugh pubescent boys. Anyhoo, after much gesticulation and snide laughter he finally got it and put it out. We went on to ask him to get us a free round of drinks, since we only just saved the bar from getting burnt down. I TELL YOU THESE BOYS HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOR. I mean, the most you would say is.."
sure, maybe next time ladies" or something smart alecky also can. But NO, he just GIGGLES and walks away. Bah, its a Singaporean thing. Oh well, good times anyhow.

Ok, so I just realised how long this point was...I'm so long winded! I tend to go off tangent. Bear with me.

2. NAILS R' US

I have to admit that I am a sucker for manicures/pedicures, at the risk of sounding spoilt and bimboish. Its a different story now that I am earning, I don't feel as guilty going in for a pedicure now and then. It honestly makes me feel so much better. As much as there is always the option of doing your own nails (I know you do a splendid job on yours, Vanilly), a professional doing it for you is the ultimate self indulgence therapy. Especially when you have got an amazing regular manicurist who knows exactly what and how you want things done(shout out to Elle and Trish!). They work at Lush Nails, and they do THE best job I've gone to in town so far. Trish also gives the best post-pedicure leg massage.

3. BOOKWORMY

Curling up with a great novel just before bedtime, then staying up to finish it because you can't put it down.
Current read: Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin(non-fiction). Its one of those books that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

It basically recounts the journey that led Mortenson from a failed attempt to climb Pakistan’s K2 mountain, to successfully building schools in some of the most remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan, effectively replacing guns with pencils and rhetoric with reading. Inspirational indeed.

4. GIRLY RETAIL THERAPY

I honestly love shopping. No doubt about it. It gets better when you spend most of a day shopping with your girlfriend. The Girl and I headed down to Orchard on Saturday after a visit to Lush Nails and hopped from one mall to another. Its not the aspect of buying something that catches your eye, but the company while shopping and getting second opinions that make it worthwhile. I have not shopped since my C&K shoe spree, so it felt good to linger around and see what's new in the market. I only had my mind on getting one item - a clutch bag and I picked up two; one on sale at Dorothy Perkins(gold) and another from Mango(black). The basic colors to go with everything, and what amazed me was the functionality of the bags. The Mango one has a little handphone and coin pouch stashed inside on top of the usual card and note holders. Whee, I was happy.
I think I'm hooked onto imaginary shopping too- as in shopping from the comfort of home whereby you browse through eBay or yahoo auctions and add items you like to your watch list, knowing you DON'T have to spend your money on the spot. This is what I call priceless shopping :)

On a side note, I met P for dinner later that night, and it was lovely to have a delicious Mexican dinner of spicy cajun chicken topped with cosmopolitans, sharing boy stories of her new guy being a prick and
gossiping away about how-her-ex-bf-is-now-engaged-to-some-prissy-who-he-cheats-
on (sometimes, its nice to live precociously through your friends) and catching up on a month of each others lives. This is how retail therapy should end, always.

5. CHOCS AHOY!

I got a box of chocolates from Godiva (something given to dad by some visitor). Between mum and I, we finished off the whole box within a day-Sunday. Truffle. Dark chocolate. Honey coated. Need I say more? hmmm I wonder if the Godiva family have any male heirs of my age?

6. SERIALS GALORE

It is the best feeling to catch up on the week's shows that were downloaded onto your computer, back to back. mmm Lost, GossipGirl, Scrubs, Grey's, OneTreeHill, Beauty&the Geek,ANTM, Desperate Housewives...throw in a tub of ice cream to complement your viewing pleasure, and you're set to go!

7. DRIVING

I finally got around to starting my practical lessons this weekend...and cruising down the roads with the wheel in your control feels oh so goooood. I can't wait to get my license- its about time! Lets hope no one or object is harmed in the process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanilly, when you get back we should do more stuffs together and we'll get you some pampering tooo. Methinks everyone needs some form of indulgence once in a while.

3 comments:

vanillyginger said...

my nails is woefully ignored nowadays, and hands are all SCARRED etc from cooking >_< can't really keep long nails cos of bread baking (dough gets stuck even with current short nails) and it slows down my typing... also, the raspberry beer i think mike ordered that a few times before, is it the belgian one? they always serve it in a champagney thin flute and is such a pretty colour. :D i have now made him appreciate nice dark beers. i should write a post on all random beer i drinked. MMMMMMMm

savoirefaire said...

Must check out your nail place, have been thinking of getting a pedi, it's been too long.

Wiggly said...

Vanilly:
Oh no @ scarred hands!! Must take you in for a pedi when you are back! You had like the softest hands and pretty nails. boo.
And yes it is the Belgian beer served in a flute. They had another version..darker colored pink, and more full bodied, stout-like. But I preferred this.
Random beer drinking- haha yes blog it!